Friday, June 10, 2016

10/06/2016 - Progress update 2

Hi there,

Good news with some post-its; The patch is done and almost ready to be released. However, I'll be gone until sunday. I didn't want to rush the release and then not be ready to fix bugs people encounter for the next 3 days.

Another note, I've decided to release the new content in 4 steps:

  • Release new quest
  • Bug fixes, grammar fixed and text changes/additions
  • Release companion
  • Bug fixes, grammar fixed and text changes/additions
I expect all of the patches to come out over 3-4 days.

The main reason I'm releasing the patches over a few days is because I want to process as much feedback as possible on the new quest. It might be a little bit over the top as far as consequences go, but I did say you get "complete" freedom. Since the release is so close, I'll spoil it for those of you that are curious.

You get presented with about 6 options when talking to the engineer, the creator and ruler of the city, when asked what you would do if you were in his position. 
  • Having high enough intellect will give you the option of presenting a rather simple alternative to his plan which will give you reasonable results. 
  • Having enough charm and shaking his hand at the start of the conversation will give you the option to tell him to ask his people, instead of just you. This gives you reasonable results also.
  • Another option is to simply kill him, or tell him his days as leader are over and you want him gone. Because I've got bigger plans for this option, I've disabled it temporarily. Needless to say this gives you the worst result and actually ends up in the "destruction" of the city.
  • The more simple option is to just agree with him, which gives you average results.
  • A more complex option involves you going back to the sewers and trying to convince the slimes in there to help the city. This will affect the human's views on monsters slightly and gives you the best results.
Your actions decide the future of the docks, the southern district, the engineer and the city as a whole. It also affects the people's views on monsters in general, albeit slightly.

I know what type of game I'm creating, but I'd like to create something enjoyable/memorable too. Hopefully that's not an impossible combination.

Sincerely Yours,
JV

4 comments:

  1. Hii there !
    I'm glad we'll see this patch soon !
    I'm a bit sad about having to wait for the second companion, but well, wanting more feedback make sense.

    As for the spoiled part... Without having the game in hand, I'm somewhat disappointed than the "ask for the slime" isn't an option that can be added to other choice (like "presenting a rather simple alternative" + "going to see the slimes"). Well, since I don't really know in which situation this choice will be made, my suggestion probably doesn't make sense.
    Through I'm totally excited about the consequences you talk about in the choice ! Also, will you "lock" some content depending on your previous choices/states of the city ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking a day longer because I decided to re-write the load/save system. It was pretty bad because I'd never worked with a system like that before, it's much easier to read now.

      The problem is a bit too big for just your companion, so you'll have to ask the slimes in the sewers for help. I'm not entirely sure what you mean though.

      Depending on your choice, several things change:
      - The city can/can't be accessed
      - Description of area's in the city change
      - Southern district gets repopulated and renovated, closed off or stays the same as it is now
      - Bart moves his shop back to the southern district or stays in the eastern district
      - The docks are (in)accessable

      Delete
    2. Oh, sad to ear the release is delayed, but I guess that's mean it'll be event better :3

      As for the choices, what I meant is : you'll be able to:
      - give alternative (int)
      - OR tell him to ask others (cha)
      - OR kill
      - OR agree
      - OR go to sewer.

      I must admit having something like that instead
      - give alternative (int)
      - give alternative (int) and take sewer quest
      - OR tell him to ask others (cha)
      - OR tell him to ask others (cha) and take sewer quest
      - OR kill
      - OR agree
      - OR agree and take sewer quest
      sounds appealing to me.
      Again, I'm not sure it fit with the exact story, so ignore that if it's not related !

      Anyway, thanks for the detail on the outcome ! I'm looking forward the update :)

      ...... duh, just saw you updated when I was writing this. Well, I guess I'll look tomorrow, it's late ^^"

      Delete
    3. Ah, I understand now. Unfortunately that would really make sense with the current options, unless I'm missing something.

      Wow, that was some insane timing!

      Delete